Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pantry Basics: Missy's Meatloaf

Two lessons to this post:
  1. When you go to the store, be sure to unpack all your grocery sacks, even if you believe the grocery bagger placed all perishables in one bag.  If you fail, you might end up like me - pulling a rotisserie chicken out of the bag five hours too late.
  2. Always keep your pantry/refrigerator stocked with a few basic items, and you'll be able to whip up Missy's (my mom) meatloaf in under ten minutes.
The best part of this home-cooked main dish is it's simple + cheap.  Yep, you should be able to make it for under $10 - which includes all the extra amounts of ingredients (milk, eggs, bread) that you can use for breakfast.  Here is what you need:


11 ingredients - easy!

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 eggs depending on size (Camp Lindo eggs are small, so opt for 3)
  • 2/3 cup of milk
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. pepper
  • 3 slices of bread
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
  • 1.4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tbsp mustard
Directions:
  • Pre-heat to 350
  • Beat eggs slightly, then add milk, salt, pepper, and torn bread.  Either beat bread OR if you are using wheat or whole grain, throw it into a mixer or blender on pulse for a few seconds.  Missy's recipe says to beat the ingredients until the bread disintegrates, but I'm not sure anyone has time for that. :)
  • Our Vitamix quickly blended together Farm to Market's Whole Wheat bread
  • Combine bread mix, onions, cheese, and meat together using your hands.  Form the "loaf" and place it into your baking dish.


                               


  • Bake it for an hour and a half at 350.  We were way to hungry when it came out of the oven, so I failed to get an after shot.  Maybe this food/recipe blogging bit isn't for me. :)  Will have to work on my photography skills as well as my ability to wait to take a bite.  This recipe is so good that even my "I hate onions" husband goes back for seconds.  
  • Meatloaf is always better the second day too.  I'm afraid if I eat too much of it I should expect the "Ma, the meatloaf!" comments from Hudson down the line. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment