Thursday, July 2, 2015

Paxton's Nursery

Nursery design is my most favorite hobby.  Well it might be my only hobby as of lately, unless you consider one of my many glamorous mom-duties a hobby.  Pulling together Paxton's room has been a creative outlet throughout this pregnancy.  I learned a few things after designing and spending many hours in Hudson's room. The most important being that the baby is clueless about the room - it could be decked out perfectly or just have the bare essentials and all will be fine.  Having said that, just as I said about planning Hudson's first birthday, when it comes down to it, a well put together party or room really makes me happy on a rather vain level.  And happiness is happiness no matter the level's depth.  This room makes me happy.  An emotion I will be grasping for soon, I'm sure, as I learn to embrace my new normal of two babies just under two years apart.  Lovely chaos, for sure.

Back to the design - I was unsure if this room would be Hudson's big boy room or a nursery for Paxton, so I designed it knowing it could last for many years and hopefully become a shared bedroom for the boys.  The bright and bold colors veer off the typical nursery design path, and in comparison to Hudson's room, the modern elements are nothing like the rugged yet classic Restoration Hardware pieces.  Guess I was just ready to switch things up!  The Land of Nod was a huge inspiration behind this room too, so props to them on successfully marketing to me. :)  Check out the pictures below and pardon my lack of linking everything, at 39.5 weeks pregnant paired with a 22 month old, my mind and body aren't all up to speed.

This picture received a lot of love on Instagram!  The best overall picture of the nursery shows two of the three main nursery elements: crib and rocker.  It is also the only photo that shows off the beautiful Land of Nod "Hanging Around" drum light. See below photos for sources on everything else.

As I mentioned, I wanted to evoke happy thoughts, for myself and the boys, but mainly myself.:)  Hey, if I'm going to be spending a majority of my time here I should create a fun environment to enjoy with the boys, right? To start, the pop of color on the ceiling, Sherwin William's Mint Condition, ties everything together and makes me soo happy.  This specific corner of the room though might be my favorite.

The Peter Pan artwork reminds me to enjoy all of the moments I can with them and really cherish our time together.  Local Kansas City company, House of Belonging creates such graceful work with a lot of religious quotes, but this one in particular felt like it was flowing from my heart: "Little boys should never be sent to bed, they always wake up a day older.".  Wow that quote sums up how I feel about the past 22 months with Hudson - he is so big now!  And yes, my husband may not agree with this quote given Hudson and my attitudes after little sleep, but the whimsy behind this quote is forever that of a Lost Boy, which I hold onto dearly.

The painting above the yellow Land of Nod shelf was commissioned by my all time favorite artist, Britt Bass.  Her work is abstract but each line flows so purposefully.  That in addition to her love for color, reminds me a lot of the way I live my life.  While the small details may be scattered at times the end result is loving and genuine.  If you aren't willing to take on the financial aspect of an original piece be sure to frequent One Kings Lane for her prints, which so happens to be the first place I saw her work.

Onto that swivel rocker - totally swoon worthy.  A thrift store wingback that was gifted to me almost ten years ago, has been recovered and turned into a swivel rocker, thanks to Paseo Upholstering in Kansas City.  Larry did an amazing job!  The inspiration came from a designer named Dina who runs a blog and design company called Honey + Fitz.  Her work is pinned a thousand times over on Pinterest, so it was hard to miss her incredible inspiration when starting on Pax's room.  After reading her blog post in which a similar chair was featured, I showed it to Larry of Paseo Upholstery and he brought it to life.  I chose Sunbrella fabrics to help wick away some of the unpleasant elements that come with a newborn. :)  If there is spit up we should be okay - fingers crossed!

And spit up leads me to my next design choice - that rag rug.  We all know babies, and more specifically, boys can be messy, which totally shatters my dreams of having a light colored rug in the room.  So instead of the soft, plush, bound-to-get-dirty-white-softly-textured rug of my dreams, I opted for a Safavieh woven rag rug.  I had one as a teenager and it held up so well that this seemed like a no-brainer choice.  That and it was only $200 (during a Deal Boutique) on All Modern for an 8x10!!  Talk about a steal to off balance some of my other purchases ...

Other nursery elements pictured above include: Anthropologie side table, Blu Dot light (purchased through All Modern), Crate & Barrel gray foot rest/pouf (few years old - originally bought for Hudson's room), basket from Target, and blackout curtains from PB Teen.

While the crib is a DucDuc I found through a friend's posting on Craigslist (brand new and half price!), the rest of this side of the room is The Land of Nod dreamland.  The bold metal letters ground the room while the fun Alphanumeric bedding created by the lovely Ampersand Design ladies for Land of Nod make the room bright and cheerful.  Given the crib was still an investment, (and worth it given high quality standards and that buttery bleached walnut finish), I didn't want my second child chewing on the railing like Hudson so lovingly did during naptime, on my husband's watch of course.  So instead of buying bumpers, which we never used in my first child's crib, we had a friend convert The Land of Nod's Alphanumeric quilt into crib rail guards, a pillow sham, and a toddler sized quilt.  The final product was exactly what I had hoped for!  Makes the modern crib look cozy.  Kind of like LA meets Kansas City.

These honeycomb wall shelves are from The Land of Nod as well.  While they weren't easy to hang (big thank you to my Mom and Dad!)  they sure make a statement.  I utilized four in this pattern and thought that the arrow design perfectly paired with the Alphanumeric bedding collection.  As the months progress I hope to switch out the toys and books with special keepsakes marking our months and milestones with Paxton.

This little nook is Hudson's corner of the room.  Right within arms reach during diaper changes, yet far enough away while I'm nursing Pax in the rocking chair.  I filled each of the canvas organizer pockets, from The Land of Nod, with soft toys that a suitable for both boys, but really are baby toys.  When we began prepping the nursery I noticed the toys Hudson outgrew became appealing to him all over again.  I'm sure this was just a taste of the fighting over toys that I'm in for in the future so for now I'll be embracing it.

Above that is the incredible pendant banner from Sharp Tooth Studio.  The lovely owner, Samantha, has Kansas City roots.  Once I saw her work I knew a custom banner was a must.  She was incredibly accommodating!  Love, love, love her work.

Another local find is the adorable clock just to the right of the Target hexagon mirror.  Maiko from Decoylab creates intricate and stunning clocks from walnut.  I found her through a local Kansas City crafters faire and could not be more thrilled with the quality of her work.  She carries a variety of playful designs perfect for any room in the house.

This dresser is a custom DucDuc to match the crib - sturdy with soft closing drawers.  Very heavy - rightfully so since the American based and made company uses real wood.  Definitely an heirloom piece we will cherish for many years to come.  And the perfect artwork that is hung just out of little fingers reach?  Another original Britt Bass.  Makes my heart happy.

This Land of Nod daybed is what will make this room so comfortable, I just know it.  Picturing lots of bedtime stories read here.  Also after being a nervous Nancy in regards to Hudson sleeping in his own crib, I figured a place for me to lay during those tough nights would be a nice alternative. Those late nights in Hudson's room always left me with a stiff back after falling asleep on the floor.

The bedding and a majority of the pillows are Land of Nod as well.  We added in a gray Jellycat rabbit, the Alexandra Jonathan "Awesome" pillow, and the custom daybed bolster pillows.
So happy with the way everything turned out.  Grateful for Land of Nods' inspiration (and my husband thanks them for the quarterly 15% off coupons!).  Now all we need is for sweet baby Paxton to arrive so we can enjoy this room as a family of four.





No comments:

Post a Comment