Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Products: Hudson Edition

Since Hudson is our first child I went a little overboard prepping for his arrival.  Not working only heightened the baby prep since I had plenty of free time to research products and deals.  Although he is only three weeks old, there are a handful of products that are proven winners for our newborn.  See below for my recommendations - all of which would make great baby shower presents!
Did you know newborns vision is blurry up until around 8 months?  When we learned this we were told it is easier for babies to see high contrast pictures as opposed to color, so we picked up a set of these Wee Gallery Art Cards.  Hudson loves to look at them.  When Adam was showing him these I told him to tell Hudson stories about the animals ... if only I had recorded the conversation, so funny.

Kansas City moms can pick these up at Itsy Bitsy Bums in Brookside (also sold on their website), or on Vine.com which is a Diapers.com website.






The Fisher Price Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper is handy to have around the house for light naps or a quick spot to set him while I cook or get ready for the day.  We purchased the "My Little Lamb" one because it matches our nursery colors.  You can find similar versions on Diapers.com 15% off until September 10th using the code YAYGEAR20

I stumbled upon this product after asking a mother with kids at Target if there was any product she would recommend to a new mom.  So thankful I asked since it saved us our first night home from the hospital.  Hudson was experiencing reflux issues and this helped elevate him. Note: there is a recall out there for this product pertaining to mold, but it only applies to moms who leave their babies in it for hours.  Use it from time to time and your babe will be just fine.
baby playmat
The Bestever playmat is one of Hudson's favorite spots to hang out because it is so soft!  If he is fussy we lay him on it and rub the bear's hand on his cheek - it instantly calms him.  We hang out a lot in our bedroom since his bassinet is there, so this is also our go-to mat when it is time for massages and conversation.  We received this as a gift.

When Hudson slept through the night (first two weeks we were waking him for feedings every 3-4 hours) AND when he enjoyed being swaddled in Aden + Anais blankets, these magnetic Magnificent Baby sleepers were amazing base layers.  They made late-night diaper changes a breeze.  Also as first time parents, we appreciate the easy magnetic closure - it eliminates a minute or two of snapping buttons.
Kansas City moms can find these at Lauren Alexandra in Brookside.

baby swaddle
Hudson is long and he loves kicking his feet - especially when he wakes up at night.  Once he decided he was too cool for swaddle blankets and HALO sleep sacks, we moved onto the Woombie.  So far, so good ... during nap time. :)

The jury is still out on whether this product helps us at night.  The design is great though since the fabric is lightweight and surprisingly stretchy.  The bottom is open too so mom can adjust the tie based on baby's length.  Another great feature is the ability to zip/unzip from either side, which makes diaper changes easy.

I recommend purchasing one of these pre-baby so you don't lose sleep the night your babe decides he/she is over other swaddle methods.  You can get them on Amazon or on the Woombie website.
Infants love massages!  I give Hudson a massage at least once a day and I use California Baby's Calming Massage Oil.    I wish I could capture a video of his reaction when I massage him - he gets so happy (big eyes + smile).  The lavender smell is instantly calming, just as the name promises.

Be careful not to massage your baby too soon after a feeding.  We start at the chest and then work our way out to the arms, then legs, followed by his back for which I just hold him like I'm going to burp him.  The $12.99 price is worth it since all you need is a quarter sized amount.  This stuff should last for quite a while.  It is all natural too, which is a huge plus since our babies skin is their second set of lungs.
A pacifier is one product I wanted to avoid, but have found that it isn't all that terrible.  The decision to let Hudson have one became easier when I realized it was better than him forming a thumb-sucking habit.  Also it can be hard to calm a crying baby, especially if they want to suck but aren't hungry.

Ultimately this all-natural brand of pacifiers, Hevea, is the reason I am okay with the idea of a pacifier.  We are currently using the Star + Moon Orthodontic one for 0-3 month olds.
infant gas relief, reflux, colic
We knew Hudson had digestion issues, but I kept thinking my diet was the culprit.  After failed attempts to calm his poor tummy, we purchased Colic Calm, a natural gripe water that treats reflux, gas, and colic.  Do we have a colicky baby?  Not sure, but I do know that this stuff has helped him the past few days.  You should purchase this in advance just in case - chances are your babe will have one of the three symptoms I listed.

Note: You can get it a CVS or Walgreens.  FYI- it is black colored.  The first time we used it I thought Hudson looked like the Penguin from Batman, lol.  When I give it to him I keep a burp cloth close by for quickly wiping away any that drips down his chin.



This Boon GLO nightlight is a little space-age looking, but it goes above and beyond while shedding some light at night in the nursery.  As the picture shows, the balls are removable which will be great when Hudson gets older and wants to potentially hold onto the light while falling asleep, heading to the bathroom, or even playing catch outside before bedtime.  The slider feature in front allows you to choose the color you want or gives the option of rotating the colors.

We have purchased other Boon products and appreciate that sleeker baby products are in the market.  

I am adding favorite products to my list each week as we find the need for what we've purchased.  A post of my favorite mom products will go up sometime in the next few weeks.  My most recent mom favorite is this Lululemon sports bra - forget about nursing bras with little to no support and purchase this.  You will thank me later. More on that in a future blog post.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete