Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Postpartum Recovery: Mama Essentials

Research and gift giving are two of my favorite things.  Gift giving based on research is even better.  That is why I decided to highlight the part of pregnancy that often gets overlooked and that no one wants to buy for: postpartum recovery. If you thought morning sickness was ugly you definitely need to be prepared for this phase.  Cue the Dun dun dunnnnn.

I've pulled together a "recovery kit" for two new mamas-to-be (you know who you are, so forget about this post and act surprised when you receive it), and decided to share it here so you can either pull one together for a good friend or pass this information along to them.  From experience, there is nothing worse than in your final weeks having to pull this stuff together, or even worse, sending your significant other out for them to then receive phone calls from the store asking what you needed again.  And my response would be: seriously?  I gave you a list.  Anyways, here is my rundown on what you need to stay as happy as can be during those *sometimes* dreadful first few weeks post-delivery:

Made this picture extra large so you can see the items a little better





























So in typical Ali fashion, I am a bit scattered.  Some of the items in the picture could and should be in your hospital bag.  For example, I loved having my Medela Tender Nipple Care Cream at the hospital to help ease the pain associated with our latching learning curve.  Breastfeeding is tough on new moms as it is with little time for chapping and bleeding.  Something else I was thankful I packed was Cliff Bloks.  These came in handy about 16 hours into labor when I was starving and lacking energy.    Caution though, if you *might* need an emergency c-section avoid these at least two hours prior to surgery.

The other non-postpartum items I've included in the picture above are a range of baby pajama sizes.  We were expecting an 8-10 pound baby based on our 37 week ultrasound scan yet Hudson only weighed 7 lbs 1 oz.  He was swimming in all the clothing options we had brought so he spent most of his time in a snap front shirt and his diaper.  Obviously it worked fine and no one cared, but some fun functional options that fit would have been nice during those first few days.  I picked up a few Little Me princess pajama sets for Baby Olivia(s), (there are two coming! One in November and the other in December), since we are in the year of the Royal Baby. :)  One is a sleep dress, the other is a footie.  The third option is a sleep dress from Magnificent Baby's line which I'm obsessed with since the magnetic closure are a new parents dream.  Variety of sizes and styles helps, plus baby clothes are tiny and take up very little room in your bag!

Now onto the postpartum must haves, listed based on order in the picture (left to right):
  • Gripe water: okay so it isn't technically for mom but baby might need it which in turn makes mom's life easier :)  While I love Colic Calm, it does leave a little bit of a stain on clothing so I purchased Little Remedies version for my girlfriends.
  • Bath soak: this packet will provide lots of relief once you finally find time to take a bath.  Just make sure your doctor clears the bath part first (may have to wait a few weeks).  I picked up a bunch of Aura Cacia's Relaxing Lavender Milk + Oat Bath packets 
  • MiraLAX neatpaks: one thing I wasn't aware of was the need for laxatives, which I'm sure doesn't need to be explained further.  These single serving packets make it easy to get a dose of fiber while staying hydrated.
  • Tucks: if you're lucky the hospital will send you home with these.  I found though that even with a supply from the hospital I needed more.  Let's face it, if you're in pain you aren't going to ration your use of a product that helps reduce the pain.  
  • Cottonelle Wipes: while I didn't actually use these, I saw way too many commercials advertising this product.  Go figure that I, an ex-ad agency girl, bought into a commercial's claims.
  • Perineal Bottles: must have!  Order a few of these off Amazon since the only other place that sells them are medical supply stores.  I put one in our bedroom bathroom, one in the other bathroom I use frequently, and one in the diaper bag.  Don't forget the diaper bag.  You will need it if and when you finally enter back into the real world.
  • Dermoplast: the hospital gave me a bottle of this and I fell in love.  Even though it isn't all natural like the New Mama products, it relieved the pain better.  I went through three bottles - one in the hospital and two at home.  Stock up.
  • Perineal Cold packs: I read the recipes for making homemade versions of these but opted for the ones they give you in the hospital.  Why?  Convience.  If you get these you won't have to grab a homemade one before heading to the bathroom at 3 am.
  • Pads and Panty Liners: wow did I go through a variety of different options postpartum.  I pulled together a collection ranging from extra long overnight to a light, everyday option.  Obviously the picture only shows one of each - you need a few handfuls of each.  Once you find one you like send your significant other out to get more.
  • Depends: this is another product I didn't personally use or buy for my postpartum.  I don't know if it was the idea of them or the potential judgement looks from Target employees.  But when it comes to my pregnant girlfriends, I had no shame.  I picked up a pack of the Depends Silhouette ones, which a similar to the mesh underwear the hospital gives you except they have a built-in pad and you can comfortably wear these in public.
Even if you end up with a really nice nurse who is willing to give you more supplies, (mesh underwear, dermoplast, tucks, etc), it might be better to pull it all together for yourself.  I recently heard on the TODAY Show that hospitals charge for everything.  Remember the saying "nothings free"?  Totally applies.  

Good luck, and congratulations to all the new mama-to-be ladies out there.  The pain you feel postpartum will definitely pass, even if it feels like it will last forever.  Oh and if your doctor tells you to wait six weeks before working out again, listen.  At six weeks postpartum I still regret my three week run.  Fingers crossed week seven postpartum is my week to officially begin a workout routine again!

No comments:

Post a Comment