Monday, September 16, 2013

Lighten Up: Avocado Cream Sauce

Adam and I go separate ways when it comes to pasta sauce - I am a tomato lover, but if given the choice, he goes for the decadent creamy stuff.  While I am not against alfredo sauce, my jeans say no.

Although Adam has gotten use to my homemade tomato sauce, I like making a lighter version of his favorite by utilizing avocados as the main ingredient.  Oh and this version doesn't include cream - it should be called Avocado Cream Sauce (to bad slashed text doesn't work in headers). Here is the run down:

Ingredients:
  • A ripe avocado
  • A ripe slimcado (pictured above - if you can't find it at the store, substitute another avocado)
  • A bunch of basil
  • Lemon
  • Garlic
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt + Pepper
Directions:

Chop up two cloves of garlic (more or less depending on your tastebuds), and half your avocados/remove the pits.  Throw these ingredients into a blender along with a bunch of basil, meaning anywhere from 15-30 leaves.  Don't worry about removing the stems.  Squeeze half your lemon in the blender and add the salt + pepper.  Next you'll want to add in olive oil - go easy at first, and add in more as you go if needed.  Hit the go/start/blend button until the ingredients reach a saucy consistency.

I love topping ribboned zucchini with this sauce, but know that I need to please Adam too so I add in the hearty noodles as well.  This dish is perfect for late Summer/early Fall since avocados and zucchinis are perfectly ripe. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment