Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 12th: A Day to Remember

Looking back on the past few years, one of my favorite memories happened on August 12th, 2011.  It was the night Adam finally asked me to marry him.  How I wish I would have written a detailed description of the night the morning after to capture all the details and surprise.  I did find an old email sent to a few friends summing it up:

As you may know, Adam and I got engaged and couldn’t be more excited!  It was a crazy work week and the only thing planned for Friday night was a big family dinner.   I didn’t think much of everyone getting together for dinner, as we were all getting together for some very fresh Boston lobsters flown in from the coast.  It was in celebration of all the years my stepdad, Mark, had put in at his job, which took him to Boston countless times for business.  We were also all together savoring family time since Grandma Rita is now (was) living in Kansas City for cancer treatment.  

Adam + I were stuck at the head of the table sitting on the ‘uncomfortable bench’ and since we were sitting there, Adam asked me if he should say a few words before dinner.  I said ‘whatever’ not thinking much of it.  Then to my surprise, after a nice prayer from my uncle Doug + a few words from Mark, Adam was down on one knee proposing in front of my entire family (16+).  I was so excited and rendered speechless … all I could was nod my head.  Afterward more family + friends came by; it was a lot of fun.

The next morning we flew to Boston for an extended weekend (Sat – Mon) to look at office space for Adam’s newest branch of his solar company (Brightergy).  We also looked at a few apartments which were initially just meant for him.  He stayed until Thursday and looked at some other places and fell in love with a beautiful Brownstone in Back Bay - a wonderful neighborhood I swooned over but figured was out of reach for us.  Long story short, he got the place and I took a leap of faith and decided I’d join him this Fall! I resigned from VML on Friday and will be going back to school this Fall most likely for a Master in Non-profit Management at Northeastern University.
In complete shock!
Doing my best to hide my tears of joy + my bright red face.

Fast-forward two years and I can still feel my face turning bright red as I turned toward him while he was proposing.  The thoughts that flooded my head ranged from, "this is really happening" to "I cannot think of anyone else I'd rather spend forever with".  I didn't know what to say in that moment so all I did was nod my head and hug him to hide my mix of emotions from my family.  There were toasts, laughter, and the overwhelming feeling of being blissfully content with life.

Before we went to Boston on a first AM flight, we stopped by St. Luke's Cancer Treatment Center/Intensive Care Unit to visit Grandma Rita.  Unfortunately she was unable to join us for dinner but she was so happy to hear the wonderful news.  After years of bonding with her on road trips and time spent at the Lake (she called me "her little clone"), I had heard and understood her journey through life and love.  When she saw the ring on my finger and the excitement beaming from my face she knew my love story was just beginning to flourish.  I am forever grateful for that moment with her, especially since she passed before our wedding.  We didn't get a picture with Grandma that morning but did capture the memories the night before: 

My incredibly supportive + goofy siblings.

My beautiful mom who has been there for me during every moment of my relationship with Adam.


My wonderful Kansas City girlfriends who came by after dinner to celebrate!
And here are some engagement shots from our session with KDog Photography.  We went to their studio for a quick couples session over Easter 2011 in anticipation of Mother's Day presents for our moms.  I quickly realized how much I loved working with Rachel and confidently chose her as our wedding photographer.  She has done a great job photographing such important moments in our life.




Update: Fingers crossed this day continues to get more special with each passing year - contractions have been going for 12+ hours (intensity picked up/began around 3:37 pm on Sunday). Placing my faith in God and "rolling with the contractions". This is what I prayed for - to feel the progress, so despite the pain I'm feeling very lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment